King of Comfort

Our couch is small. Who would have guessed? We like to watch movies on our couch. Again, who would have guessed? But, when we watch movies, we get uncomfortable after awhile because we’re used to putting our feet up on a coffee table or footrest.

So, after much ado, Collin found an Ikea ottoman in Goodwill for $10, took an old pillow, chopped it up, and covered it with material that we used for decorations at our wedding, and voila! A comfortable footrest! Now we feel like Kings as we watch Frodo Baggins head to Mordor…

1. Shaggy says:

I love Lord of the Rings! Also, about your couch. 🙂 What kind of mattress does it use, and how did you get it in the nook?

2. Roseann says:

I’ve been following your blog for a while and it’s great to see how well you two have managed living in such a small space, which actually brings me to an issue that’s been nagging me for a while. I’ve recently discussed my dream of living in my own tiny house – hopefully a Fencl as well – with my partner and have come across a few bumps in the road. He’s definitely not a big fan of such a small space but is also concerned about privacy i.e. what do when one of us – or both – just want a little R&R time alone. So my questions are these: how have you two handled issues like these (if you actually do have issues like these), and do you have any advice for a couple wanting to live together in such a small space?

3. Ethan says:

Hey C&J, It’s been a while since you’ve posted! How are things going now that the temps are dropping? -Ethan

Hi Ethan. Yes it has. Sorry about that. A lot going down. We are expecting a mini Gibson baby next summer. Very exited about that. Things have been fine with the cold weather actually. However, not so much with the combination of morning sickness, compost toilet, small space and pull out ladder. Especially as my lovely wife starts growing outward with our wee munchkin. So we have actually moved out of the house at the moment and in with some friends. So there will be a post to come at some point with what we are going to do, but for now you have the inside scoop. Well and who ever else is reading this comment lol. Thanks for following us on our journey man. Have a fantastic Christmas.

4. Ethan says:

Wow, congrats on the coming addition to the family! Glad to hear the house is holding up, too. Are you renting it out?

• Collin says:

Thanks. We are excited!!! It looks like we are going to sell it actually.

• Ethan says:

I’ll be interested to hear about how that goes. Sorry to hear you’re leaving the tiny house- do you think you’ll miss it or was living in 130 square feet not so ideal?

• Collin says:

Me to lol. It is kind of sad but sometimes things are just for a season. I guess I can always build one again some time.

• Wayne says:

It kinda worries me that yet another tiny house that someone was so enthusiastic to build and live in only lasted a few short months and now the tiny house is up for sale. Your not the only one who has done this as so many seem to be up for sale. It just makes me wonder if the concept doesn’t work … that the tiny house is not a viable livable dwelling. Perhaps it the model you chose to build? The tiny loft? The small floor space?

I own a very nice camper trailer 35 feet long. When I spend my summers there, it’s very roomy, no loft to climb in, and I could certainly see me living in something that size ( 300 sq feet ). Personally I find the tumbleweeds to small or more of a single student model.

Do you think if you had a tiny house closer to 300 sq feet and no ladder to climb you would be staying in it? You have to admit there are so many financial advantages to living in a tiny house!

• Collin says:

Hi Wayne. Thanks for your comment. I can’t speak for anyone apart from us. For us it wasn’t a matter of lasting, it is that we are having a baby. Which we are pumped about. So for us and Joanna in particular the romantic idea of have a wee one in a wee house changed. The morning sickness in a small space and the climbing up and down a ladder with that and then getting bigger. So that is what changed for us. We have no regrets about or adventure at all. We loved it. In regards to having a 300 sq foot home with no ladder, that would certainly be a lot more spacious. I am not sure if it would holed the same cute factor for us. Maybe it would depending on hoe it was done. That sound fun that you have a place to go off to each summer. You are correct about the financial advantages, there are alot of them. Another thing for us that we are discovering more and more is that we like community. We are people people.
            Hope that answers your questions. Take care.

5. Matt M says:

@Wayne – If a young married couple owned a small two seater sports car but sold it for a 4 door car to make room for baby, would that mean that sports cars are not viable? Course not, just means that has our lives change, so do our needs/requirements.

What these young folks have done is helped a lot of us understand what’s involved in this kind of living so we can see if it matches up with our lifestyles… and I’m sure they created a lot of precious memories that will last them forever in the process.

6. Dawn says:

What a beautiful job making the Fencl look warm and spacious! The purple door, chandelier, flowers, and little touches really make it a very approachable, airy appearing home! Would love to see how you have the loft decorated, as the rest looks so lovely! Great sunlight and porch, too… 🙂

7. Dawn says:

Oh and congratulations on the little one!! 🙂 I can see how pregnancy can be tough on someone sleeping in a loft. Not to be gross, but how was living with a composting toilet in such a small area? Upkeep/smell/etc… Sorry for such a gross question, but it’s part of the experience that looms in my head as something that may be difficult to live with (or, perhaps, surprisingly easy?)..,

• Collin says:

Thanks. The compost toilet was no where near as bad as I thought. However, Joanna has a heightened sense of smell and that only got better with pregnancy some how. So it began to bother her. Since we are talking about crap I will just be blunt. Any time you use the tolet it usually smells for a little bit, even after you flush it. Some how I thought that the smell should just disappear with a magic sprinkle of sawdust, but it take time just like a flush toilet. However, the saw dust really dose work. You just get used to a different smell; wood. At least that is the way it was for me. As I said, it was a little different for Joanna with pregnancy. Hope that helps, and sorry for the long delay in responding. Take care and enjoy what ever adventure you are in or are going on 🙂

8. Idrea Ramaci says:

Would LOVE to have this for guest quarters!!

9. Ramona says:

Congrats on the new addition! Is your Tiny House still for sale?

• admin says:

Sorry for the ridicules delayed response 😕
      Thank you for the congrats. Loving being a dad 🙂

10. Shannon says:

Hi! I will keep this brief – I saw that your tiny house is for sale, but cannot find a way to email you for information. Consider this my request!

I have desperately wanted and researched a tiny house for 3 years, and yours is simply gorgeous. Do let me know if it is still on the market.

• admin says:

Sorry for the ridicules delayed response 😕 Our house didn’t sell so we think we are just going to keep it and put it on some land somewhere for holidays. Are you still looking for one? We were looking for $47,000 for it.

11. Jennifer says:

So did the tiny house sell? Where are you guys at about living small now that you have a new baby? Any thoughts on finding another small place?

I’ve read your entire blog over the past few days and admit to being sad to hear you’d chosen to leave it, but completely understand. My one concern about a tiny house is the sleeping arrangements.

Nothing actually done yet, but my family is planning to build the Fencl next Spring and parking it somewhere for a weekend getaway (we have 3 kids but live in Idaho and love heading up to the mountains and have only been using tents thus far) and if all goes well building our own small house on our own land. Ideally our own design but 700sf or less.

Did you ever get solar power put in? If not, why?

Congratlations on your wonderful adventures and thank you so much for sharing it with us!

• admin says:

Hi Jennifer. No our house didn’t sell. I think we are going to keep it as a holiday get away option. Just need somewhere to stick it. I think for us it was more about living intentionally and than small. I grew up in a 7 bedroom home, but it was very well used. Maximising use you know.
      The get away sound fun. As I mentioned that is the direction we are leaning. We didn’t get around to solar mostly due to financial limitations. Still want to do that though. One house design concept we have been looking at is Earthships. Very cool.