Mosaic tiles are versatile, durable and trendy, can be used in areas that have high traffic in offices and homes. They enhance the aesthetic appeal of the place and can also withstand a lot of movement.
Mosaic tiles are often made of glass, which can be cut into different shapes and sizes, to suit your needs. There are so many different colour schemes that you can use with mosaic tiles from simple yet effective looks to full-blown, bold colour designs. You can use these throughout your house or building in many different rooms.
Mosaic tiles have been around for hundreds and hundreds of years, in fact, they have been around since Roman times. Before installing them you should put together a design and see how you think it will work and make sure that it looks good to you before you go ahead with buying all the tiles. These tiles are not the cheapest option when it comes to tiles in the market, but their pros definitely outweigh this con.
It is highly recommended that you use the help of a professional to install these tiles. If not done properly, they can ruin the look and feel of your entire house and lead to enormous wastage of money.
Key points about mosaic tiles
- These tiles are so fun and colourful that sometimes they can even be considered pieces of art. Mosaics are often used in showers and on floors to add vibrant colour and style to the room.
- Mosaic tiles are produced not only of glass but also of porcelain, crushed marble, stone and some other materials. This helps when you are able to mix and match the materials if you want to which can provide a great look and feel provided that you do it correctly.
- These tiles have to be cut to be used for laying. You can do this using a mosaic glass cutter for glass mosaic tiles and a tile nipper for ceramic tiles and stone tiles. To arrange tiles in a grid, it is vital to have the tile attached to fibreglass mesh or paper mesh.
Depending upon the material, mosaic tiles are categorized into four categories:-
- Quartz mosaic type: the type formed under extremely high temperature, serves to be of best use to the people looking for a surface resistant tile offering a stylish look to their homes.
- Glass mosaic type: this type is the most widely used tile. They look extremely sophisticated and stylish.
- Metal mosaic type: as quite clear from the name, metal mosaic tiles consist of many kinds of metallic material to add to the show and classy look of your house.
- Marble mosaic tile: This is one of the oldest varieties of mosaic tiles available but is seldom used now.